The Wycombe Railway and Joint Line- Another Mile
An S160, with a train of empty ore wagons, leaves the Up Goods line at Ironstone Sidings, a mile or so north of Banbury.
Oxfordshire Ironstone private sidings. Their line stretched 4 or 5 miles to quarries at Wroxton.
The large buildings represent the Northern Aluminium Company works. They were the principle supplier of aluminium at the beginning of the War. The factory was camoflaged and a decoy built to the north which was bombed. They also had private sidings.
Four wheeled shunters were used at the quarry faces and 6 wheeled ones on their line.
In 1957 nine were owned and painted crimson lake.
Banbury Junction where the LNER/Great Central branch from Woodford Halse joins the GWR Oxford to Birmingham line.
Two rows of weeds conveniently delimit the running lines. The S160 is on the Up Goods line.
To the left of it are the Up Main, Down Main, Down Yard Reception, and Down Goods.
The next 6 are the Old Down Yard and 6 more of the New Down Yard which wasadded during the War.
On the right are the Banbury Hump Yard Reception lines.
[ Matt, space enough to show off your next collection? Hinksey is sooo restrictive! ]
Wartime Ministry food warehouses and cold store.
The (non functional) 'Hump'.
Banbury Hump Yard.
South end of the Hump Yard. The S160 passes between a shunter on station pilot duties and the guard's van hump.
Banbury Stations and the River Cherwell.
Across the bottom is the Oxford Canal. A tar works, with private siding, is between it and the River Cherwell.
At the top is Banbury Cattle Market.
Banbury Station An LNER V2 waits to depart for Woodford Halse via the Great Central branch.
The stationmaster stands outside his house and consults his watch. (A shameless steal from the 'Granfield Branch')
Banbury had a major cattle market, at one time the largest in Europe.
An Autotrain waits in the bay before departing to Princes Risborough.
The goods sheds were being rebuilt at the start of the War. The warehouse with the canopy was almost complete when it was bombed. It was rebuilt and the main shed completed.
The S160 continues on its way to Banbury Shed. In January 1944 ten of these 16xx were shedded there.
Banbury Shed. Wartime additions include an extension to the coalstage which loads a line on the other side and ash sheds built to hide the glow from enemy bombers.
Banbury Shed, returning to the station in an Autotrain.
The gasworks was between the GWR and LMS lines. It also received bomb damage.
After it closed it became a scrapyard and several locos were cut up there.
Looking at a modern cabride video on YouTube, the administrative block on the end of the goods shed may be one of the few original buildings to survive,
The dock siding seems to have been accessed via a wagon turntable.
The prominant tall building to the left of the cream hut was a flour mill
Autotrain waits to cross over to the Up bay.
The station was finally rebuilt in 1958
LMS Merton Street terminal. The brick building to its right represents the LMS/GWR stables. The corrugated shed serves here as the Railwaymen's Mission.
Merton Street station
The gasworks private line ran through the works providing access from both the LMS and GWR. Wagons were hauled in by cable.